e hënë, 25 qershor 2007

Sustainable Discussion on Faith and Politics

It is time to Generate a Sustainable Discussion on Faith and Politics

I am a firm believer in the separation of church and state. I also believe that there are those in certain religious communities who have used and continue to use faith as a means of division and not of unification for the people of this country, as well as around the world. History repeatedly portrays and confirms this unfortunate debacle. Just look at the crusades, the inquisition, and now those who use faith as a means of terrorizing and killingly people around the world. How many unspeakable atrocities that we, as the human race, have inflicted upon each other in the name of Faith, Allah, Jehovah, God and more.

Necessary Discussion. We must have this discussion -- too much is at stake to leave faith in the closet. I asked myself, where else can one gather to have this discussion that would bear fruit of any relevance? I have had numerous discussions on a wide range of topics in the dentist chair. Or, rather, I start to but have never finished, as they always end up a one-way presentation delivered by my dentist once the novocaine kicks in and I am left with several instruments hanging out the sides of my mouth. My all time favorite discussion on politics was the night of the Regan/Carter debate. I was about to give birth to number five child and was in the middle of a rather long contraction when my doctor bounced into the room, flipped on the debate on the television and stood back to watch for a moment as I went through my panting routine that I learned in my LaMaz class. He turned on his heel and said to me, "So. What do you think of Regan?" All levity aside, you get my point. Such a discussion must take place within the faith and political arena in order to generate any valuable substance. When you bring these two elements together, only then can you come up with a sustainable perspective that will generate value for all.

Of course, there are laws that have been designed and enacted for us to live by, which, no doubt, came about due to abuse of power that has repeated itself throughout the world's history. Naturally, our faith is our moral compass that guides and tempers our thoughts, words and deeds that they may be filled with a sense of creating value for oneself and others simultaneously. Unfortunately, all too often, truth and value are deemed to be one and the same. They are not. Just because something is true does not mean it either has or creates value. It is my opinion that value is what we are looking for here. We must have a value creating discussion about faith and politics on all levels.

Senator Obama is the first political figure that I have heard speak about faith in a value creative manner with regard to his stand on issues of relevance to our country's well-being. In my opinion, it is obvious that Senator Obama's faith tempers and guides his decisions and conduct. Further, he speaks honestly and truthfully about his beliefs and carries them over into his actions and deeds. This is critical. We do not need someone to lead us simply because they go to a house of worship every week and then forget about the hungry, the poor and disenfranchised, as well as bully anyone who disagrees with them. That is a person that we all need to pray for as something is obviously missing in their lives. No doubt, they are among the most unhappy.

We need to know about a person's sense of value and how they come about same. We need to have this discussion include people of all faiths and all walks of life.

On Saturday, June 23rd, I stood on the sidewalk outside of the Hartford Civic Center along with other volunteers gathering support for Senator Obama. My experience was exhilarating not only because Senator Obama was speaking that day, but also because the UCC members were so gracious and were filled with a high life condition. I was thoroughly impressed with the diversity of the UCC members who represented all ages, all walks of life, and all ethnic backgrounds, some from different countries where we had a little trouble understanding each other's words, but we understood each other's hearts -- it was grand. It was world peace for a brief moment in time and I reveled in the glory of it all. I thank each and every UCC member for this experience that I will treasure always.

Faith has a critical role in our universe and in our daily lives. We must determine to study our faith and practice it daily. Let us open up our hearts and embark on a sustainable discussion on faith and politics that, while being mindful of the laws of our land, will create value for all.

2 komente:

maries tha...

I heartily agree that we need to have this discussion, my faith guides me on a daily basis to act as a christian and to speak out on all injustices," Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"The seperation of Church and State is a tricky issue but it is unfair of others to critisize Senator Obama as there will be no candidate running for President in 2008 who will not profess a faith in God.

jkurlan tha...

I am a very firm believer in the separation of Church and State. While I understand that a person's religious viewpoint is near impossible to remove from their actions and decisions involving politics and government, we must always remember that the forefathers intended to prevent the government from establishing a state religion or prohibiting the citizens from praticing their chosen religions.

Politicians need to remember that while in government they have taken an oath to uphold The Constitution of The United States and that oath must be the primary choice in all of their decisions. While faith may guide them to making good and decent choices, the choices they make must uphold the Constitution before anything else.

Our leaders must promote laws that protect the rights of the few even if those laws do not agree with their religious ideals. We must all remember that at one point in the past, the present or the future we all have been or will be part of the few and we will want to have the same protections as the many.

To temper that viewpoint, I would fight to the end of my days to protect the rights of all of our citizens to practice their faith and religion as long they do not infringe upon the rights of any other citizen.